[dpdk-dev] i40e: pci probe fails when using one bogus sfp

Olivier Matz olivier.matz at 6wind.com
Thu Jun 8 11:29:17 CEST 2017

Hi,

One of our customers encounters an issue with dpdk when there
is a bogus SFP on one of the ports. The following message is
reported:

  PMD: eth_i40e_dev_init(): Failed to sync phy type: -95

(note: 95 is EOPNOTSUPP/ENOTSUP)

Unfortunately I cannot reproduce the issue to give more details,
but the hypothesis is that it fails in i40e_dev_sync_phy_type().
It could be related to that patch:

  http://dpdk.org/browse/dpdk/commit/?id=edfb226f69bf

To me, the expected behavior should be:
- pci probe is succesful
- the initialization of the port with faulty SFP fails
- the initialization of the other ports is succesful

Do you have any comment or idea to fix this issue?

Thanks,
Olivier