[dpdk-dev] virtio "how to restart applications" - //dpdk.org/doc/virtio-net-pmd

Gopakumar Choorakkot Edakkunni gopakumar.c.e at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 20:39:16 CET 2017

So the doc says we should call rte_eth_dev_close() *before* going down. And
I know that especially in dpdk-virtionet  in the guest + ovs-dpdk in the
host, the ovs ends up getting stalled/stuck (!!) if I dont close the port
before starting() it when the guest dpdk process comes back up.

Considering that this not done properly can screw up the HOST ovs, and I
want to do everything possible to avoid that, I want to be 200% sure that I
call close even if my process gets a kill -9 .. So obviously the only way
of doing that is to close the port when the dpdk process comes back up and
*before* we init the port. rte_eth_dev_close() is not capable of doing that
as it expects the port parameters to be initialized etc.. before it can be
called. Any other suggestions on what can be done to close on restart
rather than close on going down ? Thought of bouncing this by the alias
before I add a version of close myself that can do this close-on-restart

Rgds,
Gopa.