[dpdk-dev] mlx5 flow create/destroy behaviour

Legacy, Allain Allain.Legacy at windriver.com
Tue Mar 28 18:16:08 CEST 2017

<..>
> If I understand correctly, your application is adding 500 rules like:
>
>  flow create 0 ingress pattern eth src is <smac> dst is <dmac> / vlan vid is
> <vid> / end action mark id is <id> / queue index 0 / end

Almost... the only difference is that the ETH pattern also checks for type=0x8100

> > Once the flows are setup, the application then checks that ingress
> > packets are properly marked with the intended unique integer specified
> > in the MARK action.
>
> It is sending packets to verify this?

The traffic generator continues to send packets during the test.   Once all flow rules have been created the application expects further ingress packets will be marked with the unique ID.

> > When I run this test after the NIC has been reset there are no issues.
>
> What do you mean by "reset"?

The DPDK test application is quit and restarted therefore the NIC is re-probed, configured, started, etc.   Seems like this is cleaning up whatever problem is resident in the NIC that is causing the new flow rules to not work properly.

> In mlx5 PMD rte_flow_destroy() always returns success as the destruction
> should never fail.
> Can you compile in debug mode (by setting
> CONFIG_RTE_LIBRTE_MLX5_DEBUG to "y")?  Then you should have as many
> print for the creation rules than the destroyed ones.

I can give that a try.