[dpdk-dev] [RFC] Service Cores concept

Thomas Monjalon thomas at monjalon.net
Wed May 17 00:11:10 CEST 2017

03/05/2017 13:29, Harry van Haaren:
> The concept is to allow a software function register itself with EAL as
> a "service", which requires CPU time to perform its duties. Multiple
> services can be registered in an application, if more than one service
> exists. The application can retrieve a list of services, and decide how
> many "service cores" to use. The number of service cores is removed
> from the application usage, and they are mapped to services based on
> an application supplied coremask.
>
> The application now continues as normal, without having to manually
> schedule and implement arbitration of CPU time for the SW services.

I think it should not be the DPDK responsibility to schedule threads.
The mainloops and scheduling are application design choices.

If I understand well the idea of your proposal, it is a helper for
the application to configure the thread scheduling of known services.
So I think we could add interrupt processing and other thread creations
in this concept.
Could we also embed the rte_eal_mp_remote_launch() calls in this concept?