[dpdk-dev] [RFC] Kernel Control Path (KCP)

Wiles, Keith keith.wiles at intel.com
Mon May 29 19:29:09 CEST 2017

On May 29, 2017, at 4:26 AM, Richardson, Bruce <bruce.richardson at intel.com<mailto:bruce.richardson at intel.com>> wrote:

On Sun, May 28, 2017 at 04:55:11PM +0000, Wiles, Keith wrote:

On May 26, 2017, at 11:52 AM, Ferruh Yigit <ferruh.yigit at intel.com<mailto:ferruh.yigit at intel.com>> wrote:

We are looking for re-sending [1] the Kernel Control Path (KCP)
with some updates [2].

Mainly this is an usability improvement for DPDK.

And a quick reminder about what KCP is:

"KCP is Linux virtual network interface that can control DPDK ports".

So DPDK interfaces, somehow will be visible and it will be possible to
use common Linux tools on DPDK interfaces.

This work can be done in multiple steps:

- At first step virtual interfaces can be read-only, and can be used
to get stats / information from DPDK ports.

- Second step can be controlling the DPDK interfaces in a common way
like Linux interfaces.

It is good to remind that KCP is only for control path, and no data
traffic will be available on those interfaces, meaning not able to use
tcpdump or similar tools on those interfaces.

I would like to hear about comments, requirements and objection about
the idea?

Also the name "Kernel Control Path" can be too broad, I am open to a
name change, any comments on naming is welcome.

Using kernel in the name is not very useful, but netlink is the real part that makes sense.

How about one of these:
- DNI = DPDK Netlink Interface
- DNC = DPDK Netlink Control
- NCI = Netlink Control Interface

I like that last one, NCI. [It's also pronouncable as "nicky", too]

Nice, one did not notice the name could be “nicky” :-)

/Bruce

Regards,
Keith