[dpdk-dev] [RFC] cmdline: rework as a wrapper to libedit

Wiles, Keith keith.wiles at intel.com
Thu Nov 16 17:48:56 CET 2017

> [...]
> doesn't exist elsewhere.
>
> How many DPDK contributors are experts in termcap handling and would care to
> invest time in this area, compared to say, squeezing the last drop of
> performance out of their employer's HW?
>
> I understand you've invested a lot of effort in this but I think that even
> if DPDK moves to librte_cli, the switch to libedit will be unavoidable.
>
> Keep in mind every time some feature will be requested, someone will raise
> the question "why not move to libedit instead?"
>
>> Fixing the long line problem is a very minor issue compared to everything
>> else wrong with cmdline.
>
> I beg to differ on this point, however the reason may not be obvious if
> you are not familiar with the flow command (the main reason behind this
> RFC).
>
> You should try it. It basically uses dynamic cmdline_parse tokens and help
> strings which enables flexible arguments with contextual help (without
> printing it for hundreds of unrelated commands) and more or less infinite
> command lines. That was the only sane approach to interface rte_flow.
>
> My point is there's already a case today for long lines support, it's not
> minor given rte_flow is bound to replace a lot of the legacy APIs and
> associated testpmd commands (flow_director_* to name a few).
>
>> I would suggest we look at CLI and improve it instead. We can add libedit to CLI and then finish testing the CLI with test-pmd. The first time I converted test-pmd I did remove and simplify the commands, but I was afraid that would cause a lot of problems for testing and scripts that people have written, but it is possible to fix these problems too.
>>
>> I do not think fixing cmdline is the best answer and working to convert over to CLI is the better answer here.
>
> In truth I didn't do my homework. Before your reply I completely forgot
> about the librte_cli proposal and related dpdk-draft-cli tree. It didn't
> cross my mind to check it out before working on this RFC.
>
> I'm now aware of how much effort you put in this and what it takes to
> reorder and reimplement all testpmd commands. That's huge. It seems like
> we're fighting unrelated battles though.
>
> To summarize:
>
> - You don't like librte_cmdline for various reasons and provide librte_cli
>  as an alternative along a testpmd implementation. I assume the goal is to
>  remove librte_cmdline once every application has switched.
>
> - I don't mind librte_cmdline, but I don't expect it to grow nor to be used
>  by applications outside test programs in DPDK itself, hence I choose to
>  strip its unused parts and make the rest a wrapper to libedit without
>  modifying applications.
>
> Both are not incompatible, and since I think libedit will be unavoidable for
> librte_cli, my approach can be seen as temporary until something replaces
> librte_cmdline. In the meantime, users still benefit from much better

OK, I understand your points and not to state your work was in vain, but it would have been better if we had applied the effort to the CLI. I do not agree per-say that libedit is required for CLI as the only feature we need is to handle long lines and their are easier ways to do then using libedit.

I was looking at the problem and I think we can handle long lines without libedit, I will try to put together an example soon.

For now we can accept your patch for cmdline as it does add the support without much effort.

> --
> Adrien Mazarguil
> 6WIND

Regards,