[dpdk-dev] [RFC] cmdline: rework as a wrapper to libedit

Wiles, Keith keith.wiles at intel.com
Thu Nov 16 18:27:37 CET 2017

> On Nov 16, 2017, at 9:06 AM, Yigit, Ferruh <ferruh.yigit at intel.com> wrote:
>
> On 11/16/2017 1:23 AM, Adrien Mazarguil wrote:
> <...>
>
>>> I do not agree it has severed DPDK well, just look at test-pmd and the hoops people have to jump thru to get a new command or variation of an existing command integrated into test-pmd it is very difficult. Also if you look at the command sets in test-pmd they are very odd in that similar commands can some times be set up completely different as cmdline is too rigid and difficult to use.
>>
>> Testpmd is indeed messy, but this is not librte_cmdline's fundamental fault
>> in my opinion, more likely the result of using a copy/paste approach to new
>> commands due to lack of time or interest in making things nicer than the
>> bare minimum to validate features. There's no design direction for it hence
>> the lack of uniformity in the command hierarchy.
>
> Unrelated to cmdline discussion +1 for this paragraph.

As a side note should CLI change the test-pmd commands to be more reasonable or maintain the current commands to not break testing. I would like to fix these commands with CLI, but as I have both built into test-pmd currently we can could keep the old cmdline commands and if you use the new CLI then it would be the new cleaner commands.

Regards,
Keith