[dpdk-dev] [PATCH v6 0/2] Dynamically configure mempool handle
santosh.shukla at caviumnetworks.com
Fri Oct 6 09:45:28 CEST 2017
- Include v5 minor comment Thomas.
Patches rebased on upstream tip / commit
- Includes v4 minor review comment.
Patches rebased on upstream tip / commit id:5dce9fcdb2
- Includes v3 review coment changes.
Patches rebased on 06791a4bce: ethdev: get the supported pools for a port
- Rebased on top of v17.11-rc0
- Updated version.map entry to v17.11.
DPDK has support for hw and sw mempool. Those mempool
can work optimal for specific PMD's.
sw ring based PMD for Intel NICs.
HW mempool manager dpaa2 for dpaa2 PMD.
HW mempool manager fpa for octeontx PMD.
There could be a use-case where different vendor NIC's used
on the same platform and User like to configure mempool in such a way that
each of those NIC's should use their preferred mempool(For performance reasons).
Current mempool infrastrucure don't support such use-case.
This patchset tries to address that problem in 2 steps:
0) Allowing user to dynamically configure mempool handle by
passing pool handle as eal arg to `--mbuf-pool-ops-name=<pool-handle>`.
1) Allowing PMD's to advertise their pool capability to an application.
>From an application point of view:
- The application must ask to PMD about supported pools.
- PMD will advertise his pool capability in priority order
'0' - Best match mempool ops for _that_ port (highest priority)
'1' - PMD support this mempool ops.
- Based on those i/p from PMD, application to chose pool-hdl and
do pool create.
v5 --> v6:
- Added Olivier Acked-by in series.
- Arranged alphbetical order for 'OPT_MBUF_POOL_OPS_NAME' (Suggested By Thomas)
- Placed alphabetical order for 'rte_eth_dev_pool_ops_supported' in version.map
v5 --> v4:
- Renamed mbuf_pool_name to mbuf_pool_ops_name in [01/02]. (Suggested by
- Incorporated review comment suggested by Olivier for [02/02].
Refer specific patch for v5 change history.
v3 --> v4:
- Removed RTE_MBUF_XXX_POOL_NAMESIZE macro and replaced mbuf_pool_name
with const. (Suggested by Olivier)
- Added eal arg info in doc guide.
- Removed _preferred_pool() api and replaced with
rte_eth_dev_pools_ops_supported() api (Suggested by Olivier)
v2 --> v3:
- Changed version.map from DPDK_17.08 to DPDK_17.11.
v1 --> v2:
- Renamed rte_eal_get_mempool_name to rte_eal_mbuf_default_mempool_ops().
(suggested by Olivier)
- Renamed _get_preferred_pool to _get_preferred_pool_ops().
- Updated API description and changes return val from -EINVAL to -ENOTSUP.
(Suggested by Olivier)
* Specific details on v1-->v2 change summary described in each patch.
* Refer  for v1.
Santosh Shukla (2):
eal: allow user to override default pool handle
ethdev: get the supported pool for a port
doc/guides/freebsd_gsg/build_sample_apps.rst | 3 +++
doc/guides/linux_gsg/build_sample_apps.rst | 3 +++
doc/guides/testpmd_app_ug/run_app.rst | 4 ++++
lib/librte_eal/bsdapp/eal/eal.c | 10 ++++++++++
lib/librte_eal/bsdapp/eal/rte_eal_version.map | 7 +++++++
lib/librte_eal/common/eal_common_options.c | 3 +++
lib/librte_eal/common/eal_internal_cfg.h | 2 +-
lib/librte_eal/common/eal_options.h | 2 ++
lib/librte_eal/common/include/rte_eal.h | 9 +++++++++
lib/librte_eal/linuxapp/eal/eal.c | 11 +++++++++++
lib/librte_eal/linuxapp/eal/rte_eal_version.map | 7 +++++++
lib/librte_ether/rte_ethdev.c | 18 ++++++++++++++++++
lib/librte_ether/rte_ethdev.h | 24 ++++++++++++++++++++++++
lib/librte_ether/rte_ethdev_version.map | 1 +
lib/librte_mbuf/rte_mbuf.c | 5 +++--
15 files changed, 106 insertions(+), 3 deletions(-)
More information about the dev