[dpdk-dev] ABI/API stability in DPDK

Mcnamara, John john.mcnamara at intel.com
Fri Oct 6 18:21:48 CEST 2017

At the recent DPDK 2017 Userspace in Dublin we had a discussion about API/ABI stability with representation from Intel, OVS-DPDK, Debian, Red Hat and plenty of input from the floor.

The main consensus after looking at different proposals was to maintain the current process (http://dpdk.org/doc/guides/contributing/versioning.html) but to try enforce it more rigidly.

The main points to come out of this discussion were:

1. That 3 Acks are still needed for deprecation and they should come from different companies.

2. ABI checks to be run as part of the CI/testing so that patches that break ABI are flagged early. Note, ABI checks can be run manually as follows: http://dpdk.org/doc/guides/contributing/versioning.html#running-the-abi-validator

3. New API's will be marked as experimental by default for 1 release minimum. This is to address the most common case for breakage which is in new APIs.

If I missed, or misrepresented, anything please update in a reply.