[dpdk-dev] Can xenvirt pmd work in xen guest (aka DomU) without xen-vhost in Dom0 ?

Bill Bonaparte programme110 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 8 06:54:46 CEST 2017

Thanks Jianfeng for taking time to reply.

please allow me to briefly explain why I want to run dpdk on xen.
our system is based on dpdk, which means we use dpdk as packet
receive/transmit engine,
and with integrated dpdk virtio/vmxnet3 driver, our system can run on
KVM/VMware platform .
this year, we have plan to run our system on AWS cloud, but I found that AWS
uses xen as its virtualization platform, and the bus-info of nic is vif-x
(x could be 0,1,2...),
the driver used in kernel is vif. this should be para-virtualized nic used
on xen.

I don't know which dpdk drvier can manage this pv nic. then I see xenvirt,
I think this driver can
did this job, like virtio can manage virtio nic which is used on kvm.
unfortunately, after some study work, I run testpmd successfully on xen,
but no packets received.

with the informain got from you, I know It's need to run vhost_xen at dom0
so that xenvirt at domU can work.
but for my case, I have no change to run vhost_xen at dom0, because I only
can operate my own domU.

for this case, If I want to run system which is based on dpdk at domU, what
should I do?
appreciate any idea or suggestion from you.