[dpdk-dev] How to use ixgbe module log?

Burakov, Anatoly anatoly.burakov at intel.com
Thu Sep 28 13:54:04 CEST 2017

On 28-Sep-17 11:26 AM, Sam wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm working on ixgbe, I want to enable "PMD_RX_LOG" and "PMD_TX_LOG", how
> to do  this?
>
> As for normal application, I could use --log-level param to start, but
> ixgbe is kernel module, how to do this?
>
> Thank you~

Hi Sam,

In DPDK, ixgbe is not a kernel module - these are customized, userspace
drivers. In order to enable RX and TX logging, corresponding config
options should be set at compile time. For example, if you want to
enable RX/TX logging for IXGBE driver, here's a rough list of steps you
need to do:

1) create a custom config file in config/ directory. Copy whatever it is
that you're using for your application (e.g.
defconfig_x86_64-native-linuxapp-gcc), and name it something starting
with defconfig_ (e.g. defconfig_myconfig)
2) Set CONFIG_RTE_LIBRTE_IXGBE_DEBUG_RX and
CONFIG_RTE_LIBRTE_IXGBE_DEBUG_TX (and whatever other options you may
need, see [1] and [2]) to "y" in your custom config
3) do "make config T=myconfig && make" (or whatever other command you
use to build/install DPDK - make sure to specify your custom config as
target)

After that, you should be able to see RX/TX logs in DPDK applications.

[1] http://dpdk.org/browse/dpdk/tree/config/common_base#n171
[2] http://dpdk.org/browse/dpdk/tree/drivers/net/ixgbe/ixgbe_logs.h

Anatoly