[dpdk-dev] kernel binding of devices + hotplug

Thomas Monjalon thomas at monjalon.net
Thu Apr 19 10:24:24 CEST 2018

19/04/2018 08:04, Alejandro Lucero:
> I do not completely understand the discussion, but I think the disagreement
> is due to how some devices interact with DPDK, at least Mellanox ones. I'm
> saying that because we have a DPDK app which starts with no device at all
> (--no-pci) and it relies on device plugging attach/detach for configuring
> and removing ports once devices are bound to VFIO or UIO drivers. Maybe I'm
> wrong, but I think because Mellanox cards do not use VFIO or UIO drivers
> but some specific bound using verbs inside the PMD, leaving all this
> binding to the system does not fit them.

Mellanox uses a bifurcated model for any use.
Others could use a bifurcated model thanks to AF_XDP.
That's why it is more correct to compare "bifurcated model" vs "UIO/VFIO".

> If that is the case, although I agree with leaving the device binding to
> the system, I think it would be fair to contemplate a dual approach for
> legacy reasons, or to leave time for implementing a pseudo system driver
> which Mellanox can use for having same functionality.

I summarize the comparison:
- On one hand, we can configure all the devices only once in DPDK,
but it gives super-powers to the DPDK application.
- On the other hand, we can do a part of the setup at system level
(some kernel binding or flow bifurcation), and we do another part
of the setup in DPDK, splitting/duplicating the setup info in two places.