[dpdk-dev] i354 autoneg-off link issue

Ananda Sathyanarayana ananda at versa-networks.com
Sun Feb 11 02:17:09 CET 2018

Hi,

I am observing a strange issue with i354 when auto-negotiation is turned off. The device I have has 6 ethernet ports. Port 1 and 2 are based on i210 and port 3 to 6 are based on i354 (connected thru an external PHY). The CPU is Atom Rangeley (4 core).

I have connected ports 3 and 4 back to back with an external cable. When the link is forced to 100M/Full duplex with auto-negotiation off on both the ports, the link does not come up.

Whereas the link comes up fine when eth3 (i354) and eth1 (i210) are connected back to back and forced to 100M/Full duplex with auto-negotiation off.

This issue is seen with DPDK (16.04) and also linux kernel (ubuntu 14.04).

Is this a known issue ?

Following are logs when running the test using ethtool from linux

admin at Ananda-Desk:~$ lspci | grep Ethernet
00:14.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection I354 (rev 03)  - eth2
00:14.1 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection I354 (rev 03)  - eth3
00:14.2 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection I354 (rev 03)  - eth4
00:14.3 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection I354 (rev 03)  - eth5
01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation I210 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 03) - eth0
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation I210 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 03) - eth1

admin at Ananda-Desk:~$ ethtool -i eth3
driver: igb
version: 5.2.13-k
firmware-version: 0.0.0
bus-info: 0000:00:14.1
supports-statistics: yes
supports-test: yes
supports-eeprom-access: yes
supports-register-dump: yes
supports-priv-flags: no

[Force 100M/Full on eth3]

admin at Ananda-Desk:~$ sudo ethtool -s eth3 autoneg off duplex full speed 100

admin at Ananda-Desk:~$ ethtool eth3
Settings for eth3:
        Supported ports: [ TP ]
        Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Full
        Supported pause frame use: Symmetric
        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
        Advertised link modes:  Not reported
        Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric
        Advertised auto-negotiation: No
        Speed: 100Mb/s
        Duplex: Full
        Port: Twisted Pair
        PHYAD: 1
        Transceiver: internal
        Auto-negotiation: off
        MDI-X: off (auto)
Cannot get wake-on-lan settings: Operation not permitted
        Current message level: 0x00000007 (7)
                               drv probe link
        Link detected: yes

admin at Ananda-Desk:~$ ethtool eth4
Settings for eth4:
        Supported ports: [ TP ]
        Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Full
        Supported pause frame use: Symmetric
        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
        Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Full
        Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric
        Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
        Speed: 100Mb/s
        Duplex: Half
        Port: Twisted Pair
        PHYAD: 2
        Transceiver: internal
        Auto-negotiation: on
        MDI-X: on (auto)
Cannot get wake-on-lan settings: Operation not permitted
        Current message level: 0x00000007 (7)
                               drv probe link
        Link detected: yes

[Force 100M/Full on eth4]

admin at Ananda-Desk:~$ sudo ethtool -s eth4 autoneg off duplex full speed 100
admin at Ananda-Desk:~$
admin at Ananda-Desk:~$ ethtool eth4
Settings for eth4:
        Supported ports: [ TP ]
        Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Full
        Supported pause frame use: Symmetric
        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
        Advertised link modes:  Not reported
        Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric
        Advertised auto-negotiation: No
        Speed: Unknown!
        Duplex: Unknown! (255)
        Port: Twisted Pair
        PHYAD: 2
        Transceiver: internal
        Auto-negotiation: off
        MDI-X: on (auto)
Cannot get wake-on-lan settings: Operation not permitted
        Current message level: 0x00000007 (7)
                               drv probe link
        Link detected: no       <<<<<<<<<<<<<<
admin at Ananda-Desk:~$ ethtool eth3
Settings for eth3:
        Supported ports: [ TP ]
        Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Full
        Supported pause frame use: Symmetric
        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
        Advertised link modes:  Not reported
        Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric
        Advertised auto-negotiation: No
        Speed: Unknown!
        Duplex: Unknown! (255)
        Port: Twisted Pair
        PHYAD: 1
        Transceiver: internal
        Auto-negotiation: off
        MDI-X: off (auto)
Cannot get wake-on-lan settings: Operation not permitted
        Current message level: 0x00000007 (7)
                               drv probe link
        Link detected: no    <<<<<<<<<<<

[Connect cables between eth1 and eth3]
[Force 100M/Full on eth1]

admin at Ananda-Desk:~$
admin at Ananda-Desk:~$ sudo ethtool -s eth1 autoneg off duplex full speed 100
admin at Ananda-Desk:~$
admin at Ananda-Desk:~$ ethtool eth1
Settings for eth1:

Thanks,