[dpdk-dev] XL710: [Q] traffic steering under DPDK.

Anton Grichina Anton.Grichina at harmonicinc.com
Wed Feb 14 11:19:26 CET 2018

Hello,
I am working with Arkady on VLAN steering. I have few questions regarding it on top of what was asked before.
7.4.8.4 "VEB/VEPA Switching Algorithm" states that filtering happens by MAC+VLAN. It is impossible to perform filtering by VLAN only, as I understand it is HW limitation.

XL710 has something called "7.4.8.2 S-comp Forwarding Algorithm" which looks like exactly what we want. It does forwarding of packets to specific VSI based on S-tag.
S-tag is a part of "7.4.9.5.5.1 Add VSI (0x0210)" command. I guess we can configure several VSIs for expected S-tags.
Do you know anything about this algorithm?

As I understood "port virtualizer" (7.4.2.4.3 "Cascaded VEB and port virtualizers") supposed to be configured to use this switching algorithm.
In i40e driver (kernel or DPDK) I do not see anything related to configuration of "port virtualizers", except "i40e_aq_add_pvirt" function which is not used anywhere.
Is it possible to configure "port virtualizer" with existing i40e driver?

Another question is about "i40e_aq_set_vsi_uc_promisc_on_vlan" function in i40e driver (7.4.9.5.9.5 "Set VSI Promiscuous Modes"). It enables promiscuous mode for unicast packets with specific VLAN, so all packets with that VLAN will be replicated to configured VSI. In XL710 datasheet I`ve found that it works only in "Cloud VEB algorithm" (7.4.8.6). Can we somehow enable this algorithm with existing i40e drivers?

Thanks