[dpdk-dev] [RFC v2, 2/2] eventdev: add crypto adapter API header

Jerin Jacob jerin.jacob at caviumnetworks.com
Tue Feb 20 14:59:21 CET 2018

-----Original Message-----
> Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2018 10:55:58 +0000
> From: "Gujjar, Abhinandan S" <abhinandan.gujjar at intel.com>
> To: Jerin Jacob <jerin.jacob at caviumnetworks.com>
> CC: "dev at dpdk.org" <dev at dpdk.org>, "Vangati, Narender"
>  <narender.vangati at intel.com>, "Rao, Nikhil" <nikhil.rao at intel.com>, "Eads,
>  Gage" <gage.eads at intel.com>, "hemant.agrawal at nxp.com"
>  <hemant.agrawal at nxp.com>, "akhil.goyal at nxp.com" <akhil.goyal at nxp.com>,
>  "narayanaprasad.athreya at cavium.com" <narayanaprasad.athreya at cavium.com>,
>  "nidadavolu.murthy at cavium.com" <nidadavolu.murthy at cavium.com>,
>  "nithin.dabilpuram at cavium.com" <nithin.dabilpuram at cavium.com>
> Subject: RE: [RFC v2, 2/2] eventdev: add crypto adapter API header
>
> Hi Jerin,

Hi Abhinandan,

> Thanks for the review. Please find few comments inline.

I would say presence of "specific capability" instead of HW.

> > > + * crypto operation directly to cryptodev or send it  to the
> > > + cryptodev
> > > + * adapter via eventdev, the cryptodev adapter then submits the
> > > + crypto
> > > + * operation to the crypto device. The first mode is known as the
> >
> > The first mode (DEQ) is very clear. In the second mode(ENQ_DEQ),
> > - How does "worker" submits the crypto work through crypto-adapter?
> > If I understand it correctly, "workers" always deals with only cryptodev's
> > rte_cryptodev_enqueue_burst() API and "service" function in crypto adapter
> > would be responsible for dequeue() from cryptodev and enqueue to eventdev?
> >
> > I understand the need for OP_NEW vs OP_FWD mode difference in both modes.
> > Other than that, What makes ENQ_DEQ different? Could you share the flow for
> > ENQ_DEQ mode with APIs.
>
> /*
> Application changes for ENQ_DEQ mode:
> 	/* In ENQ_DEQ mode, to enqueue to adapter app
> 	 * has to fill out following details.
> 	 */
> 	struct rte_event_crypto_request *req;
> 	struct rte_crypto_op *op = rte_crypto_op_alloc();
>
> 	/* fill request info */
> 	req = (void *)((char *)op + op.private_data_offset);
> 	req->cdev_id = 1;
> 	req->queue_pair_id = 1;
>
> 	/* fill response info */
>
> 	/* send event to crypto adapter */
> 	ev->event_ptr = op;
> 	ev->queue_id = dst_event_qid;
> 	ev->priority = dst_priority;
> 	ev->sched_type = dst_sched_type;
> 	ev->event_type = RTE_EVENT_TYPE_CRYPTODEV;
> 	ev->sub_event_type = sub_event_type;
> 	ev->flow_id = dst_flow_id;
> 	ret = rte_event_enqueue_burst(event_dev_id, event_port_id, ev, 1);
>

> Adapter in ENQ_DEQ mode, submitting crypto ops to cryptodev:
> 	n = rte_event_dequeue_burst(event_dev_id, event_port_id, ev, BATCH_SIZE, time_out);
> 	struct rte_crypto_op *op = ev->event_ptr;
> 	struct rte_event_crypto_request *req = (void *)op + op.private_data_offset;
> 	cdev_id = req->cdev_id;
> 	qp_id = req->queue_pair_id
>
> 	ret = rte_cryptodev_enqueue_burst(cdev_id, qp_id, op, 1);

This mode wont work for the HW implementations that I know. As in HW
implementations, The Adapter is embedded in HW.
The DEQ mode works. But, This would call for to have two separate application logic for
DEQ and ENQ_DEQ mode.
I think, it is unavoidable as SW scheme has better performance with ENQ_DEQ MODE.

If you think, there is no option other than introducing a capability in
adapter then please create capability in Rx adapter to inform the
adapter capability to the application.

Do we think, it possible to have scheme with ENQ_DEQ mode, Where
application still enqueue to cryptodev like DEQ mode but using
cryptodev. ie. Adapter patches the cryptodev dev->enqueue_burst() to
"eventdev enqueue burst" followed by "exiting dev->enqueue_burst".
Something like exiting ethdev rx_burst callback scheme.
This will enable application to have unified flow IMO.

Any thoughts from NXP folks?