[dpdk-dev] Suggestions on how to customize the metadata fields of each packet

longtb5 at viettel.com.vn longtb5 at viettel.com.vn
Fri Feb 23 11:07:04 CET 2018

Hi all,

Victor, I suggest taking a closer look at section 7.1. here:
http://dpdk.org/doc/guides/prog_guide/mbuf_lib.html

The approach chosen by DPDK is to store everything, metadata and packet data, in contiguous memory. That way, network packets will always have 1 to 1 relationship with DPDK mbufs, no extra pointer needed. Every task that you need to perform, from allocating, freeing, to transferring mbufs to another lcore via software rings, are handled by DPDK. You don't have to worry about them. You can save your metadata either directly in the userdata field of struct rte_mbuf or in the headroom area.

I agree with Konstantin that in theory we should think of the userdata field as space exclusively for metadata and reserve the headroom area for packet header manipulation purposes only. However in practice I tend to think that using headroom for metadata is more useful since you don't really need to worry about any special configuration when creating mbuf pool. The headroom is gonna be there by default and you can always adjust its size after initialization. Please let me know if I missed something.

-BL