[dpdk-dev] Dynamic Logging Name Formatting

Van Haaren, Harry harry.van.haaren at intel.com
Tue Jan 23 18:31:38 CET 2018

Hi All,

I'm looking at the output of  app/test >> dump_log_types

There are a number of naming systems, and I think it would be good to standardize on one (before we diverge further than we already have..) Below a summary of current state, which is becoming a little messy IMO. A proposed (hopefully consistent) naming scheme suggested below that again.

Based on the suggested scheme, I think the OPDL PMD and OcteonTX would change - so adding Maintainers of those components to CC.

Feedback welcome, -Harry

=== Current State ===
=====================

Libraries:
   lib.<name>

Ethdev PMDs:
   pmd.<name>.info
   pmd.<name>.driver

Other PMDs
   pmd.<platform>.ethdev
   pmd.<platform>.ethdev.init
   pmd.<platform>.eventdev
   pmd.<platform>.mempool

More PMDs:
   eventdev.<pmd-name>.init
   eventdev.<pmd-name>.driver

=== Suggested Consistent Schema ===
===================================

Libraries:
  lib.<name>.specialization

Net PMDs:
  pmd.<name>.specialization
  // one could argue consistency would be pmd.ethdev.<name>
  // but the change is larger than the value IMO - thoughts?

Eventdev PMDs:
  pmd.eventdev.<name>.specialization

Crypto PMDs:
  pmd.cryptodev.<name>.specialization