[dpdk-dev] librte_power w/ intel_pstate cpufreq governor

Hunt, David david.hunt at intel.com
Mon Mar 5 11:16:24 CET 2018

Hi BL,

I have always used "intel_pstate=disable" in my kernel parameters at
boot so as to disable the intel_pstate driver, and force the kernel to
use the acpi-cpufreq driver:

# cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_driver
acpi-cpufreq

This then gives me the following options for the governor:
['conservative', 'ondemand', 'userspace', 'powersave', 'performance',
'schedutil']

Because DPDK threads typically poll, they appear as 100% busy to the
p_state driver, so if you want to be able to change core frequency down
(as in l3fwd-power), you need to use the acpi-cpufreq driver.

I had a read through the docs just now, and this does not seem to be
mentioned, so I'll do up a patch to give some information on the correct
kernel parameters to use when using the power library.

Regards,
Dave.