[dpdk-dev] librte_power w/ intel_pstate cpufreq governor

longtb5 at viettel.com.vn longtb5 at viettel.com.vn
Mon Mar 5 11:48:25 CET 2018

Hi Dave,

Actually in my test lab which is a HP box running CentOS 7 on kernel version
3.10.0-693.5.2.el7.x86_64, the default cpufreq driver is pcc_cpufreq. So I guess
disabling intel_pstate wouldn't help in my case.

# cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_driver
pcc-cpufreq

# cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_governors
conservative userspace powersave ondemand performance

According to kernel doc, pcc_cpufreq also doesn't export scaling_availabe_frequencies
in sysfs.

>From kernel doc:
"scaling_available_frequencies is not created in /sys. No intermediate
frequencies need to be listed because the BIOS will try to achieve any
frequency, within limits, requested by the governor. A frequency does not have
to be strictly associated with a P-state."

The lack of scaling_availabe_frequencies makes power_acpi_cpufreq_init()
complains, similar to the problem with intel_pstate as  in the other thread.
I have tried (though with not much effort) to force the kernel
to use acpi-cpufreq instead but without success.

Luckily, as quoted above pcc_cpufreq supports setting of arbitrary frequency,
so a simple workaround for now is to fake a scaling_available_frequencies file
in another directory, then edit the code in librte_power to use that file instead.

Regards,
-BL