[dpdk-dev] [RFC v2, 2/2] eventdev: add crypto adapter API header

Akhil Goyal akhil.goyal at nxp.com
Tue Mar 6 08:13:55 CET 2018

Hi Narender,
On 3/4/2018 4:12 AM, Vangati, Narender wrote:
> Akhil,
> I'm probably missing a point somewhere but I don't follow the suggestions. To me, ethdev, cryptodev, eventdev, etc. are device abstractions, whereas the proposed ENQ mode isn't at the same level.
> The DEQ mode is a device abstraction for cryptodev->eventdev (whether h/w or s/w based), but the ENQ part of the adapter is purely a s/w programming model and optional to the application. It is independent of any device and it’s an application choice whether it wants to use this or not. Nothing prevents the application from calling cryptodev_enqueue_burst towards any device directly (whether it be soft crypto, NXP, Cavium, QAT, etc ) within an eventdev based environment.
> The ENQ mode allows an application programming model to be completely event based. If the application chooses, it enables the ENQ part where it enqueues an rte_event to the s/w adapter and the adapter then calls cryptodev_enqueue_burst on its behalf, towards any device PMD which was created.
> There are certain benefits to application architecture using this adapter where you can leverage the ordered scheduling within eventdev etc., (and certain cons where you need to run this service somewhere) but that’s up to the application to decide.
>
> In other words, I don’t consider ENQ mode as a device abstraction like cryptodev or ethdev where it needs to plug in to something transparently but a programming model that is provided as a choice, and that shouldn’t be tied up into a device abstraction layer.
>
> vnr

I am not against of eventdev enqueue API, or let the application decide
to use it or not.
I am trying to limit more options in already multi-option IPSEC
usecases. It is getting too confusing.

Also, my concern is that sw based crypto-event can also follow the same
path as the hw based in this case. This will help the application to
have a common code for both the cases.

-Akhil