[dpdk-dev] Sharing Common libs between PMDs

Jerin Jacob jerin.jacob at caviumnetworks.com
Wed Mar 14 15:55:45 CET 2018

-----Original Message-----
> Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2018 09:34:40 +0000
> From: Liron Himi <lironh at marvell.com>
> To: "dev at dpdk.org" <dev at dpdk.org>
> CC: Liron Himi <lironh at marvell.com>
> Subject: [dpdk-dev] Sharing Common libs between PMDs
>
> Hi,
>
> We have several PMDs in DPDK that are using the same underlying common libraries.
> In addition, we have plans to add some new common service into DPDK that already introduces too much complexity with the way that the code is written now.
> Therefore, we would like to move all our common functions calls into one shared/common folder in DPDK and we need to find proper place for this purpose.
>
> Can you suggest on such a place?

There was an attempt to create "driver/common" but latter the common code
for NXP HW device got moved to drivers/bus/dpaa/. Linux kernel has
something called "driver/soc", I think, "driver/soc" may be more appropriate.

Currently DPDK's driver build dependency is in the following order
(bus, mempool, net, crypto, event).
Other than driver/common or driver/soc, one option could be to
- Move the common code to bus or mempool
and
- Across the drivers, include the header files through CFLAGS if the common code
  is in header file
http://dpdk.org/browse/dpdk/tree/drivers/event/octeontx/Makefile#n13