[dpdk-dev] i40e mbuf->rss indication

Hanoch Haim (hhaim) hhaim at cisco.com
Thu Mar 22 12:46:22 CET 2018

Driver: i40e

DPDK : 17.11

Configuration :

1)     RSS configuration
       rxmode.mq_mode = ETH_MQ_RX_RSS;
       rss->rss_hf = ETH_RSS_UDP | ETH_RSS_TCP;
       rss->rss_key = Microsoft key
       rss->rss_key_len = 52

       *configure RETA to some rx-queues

2)        Change hash to TOEPLITZ (only for i40e)

          struct rte_eth_hash_filter_info info = {};
          info.info_type = RTE_ETH_HASH_FILTER_GLOBAL_CONFIG;
          info.info.global_conf.hash_func = RTE_ETH_HASH_FUNCTION_TOEPLITZ;
          rte_eth_dev_filter_ctrl(m_repid,
                                  RTE_ETH_FILTER_HASH,
                                  RTE_ETH_FILTER_SET, &info);

3) Configure some flow-director rules

4) TCP/UDP packets are received to the *right* core (based on a SW Toeplitz calculation +reta table) however
   The reported rss value is *wrong* in the mbuf
  (m->hash.rss == *wrong value*)
  ((m->ol_flags&PKT_RX_RSS_HASH) == PKT_RX_RSS_HASH

5) The above works fine for mlx5 and ixgbe

6) I suspect the hash is something else, maybe flow-director id or xor hash ..

Wanted to know if this is a known issue. I can provide a simple way to reproduce it using TRex

Thanks,
Hanoh