[dpdk-dev] ethdev flags and capabilities

Thomas Monjalon thomas at monjalon.net
Tue May 1 22:41:09 CEST 2018

Since DPDK 18.05-rc1, we have 2 new fields in rte_eth_dev_info:
	const uint32_t *dev_flags;
	uint64_t dev_capa;

The field dev_flags (http://dpdk.org/commit/736b30ebf2)
is a pointer to rte_eth_dev_data.dev_flags for these bits:
	RTE_ETH_DEV_INTR_LSC
	RTE_ETH_DEV_BONDED_SLAVE
	RTE_ETH_DEV_INTR_RMV
	RTE_ETH_DEV_REPRESENTOR

The field dev_capa (http://dpdk.org/commit/cac923cfea)
is an integer for these bits:
	RTE_ETH_DEV_CAPA_RUNTIME_RX_QUEUE_SETUP
	RTE_ETH_DEV_CAPA_RUNTIME_TX_QUEUE_SETUP

How can we merge them?
Should we move the capabilities in rte_eth_dev_data.dev_flags?
Or do we want to keep the capabilities in rte_eth_dev_info?
Is it OK to use pointers in rte_eth_dev_info or should we make a copy
of rte_eth_dev_data fields?

We need to take a decision before RC3. Thanks