[dpdk-dev] Question about jumbo frame support on ixgbe

Zhao1, Wei wei.zhao1 at intel.com
Thu Nov 1 04:27:21 CET 2018

Yes,
dev_conf.rxmode.offloads bits of DEV_RX_OFFLOAD_JUMBO_FRAME should be set to 1 when start port in API rte_eth_dev_start().
IF you are using testpmd  APP, you should set struct rte_eth_rxmode rx_mode  offloads bits of DEV_RX_OFFLOAD_JUMBO_FRAME.
 but  I think only set this bit of DEV_RX_OFFLOAD_JUMBO_FRAME is not sufficient for enable this jumbo frame feature,
Because in PMD code, this flag do not set bit of  IXGBE_HLREG0_JUMBOEN in register IXGBE_HLREG0, I think this is something
We need update.

> The feature bit that creates multiple mbuf's if necessary on receive is:
> 	rx_offload_capa  & DEV_RX_OFFLOAD_SCATTER Likewise to enable it,
> this must be set in rte_eth_rx_queue_setup rx_conf.

Yes, this step can chose scatter rx function for PMD, but not MUST, details of discussion for this is in other mail.
https://mails.dpdk.org/archives/dev/2018-November/117771.html