[dpdk-dev] DPDK 21.11+ Windows Roadmap

William Tu u9012063 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 04:31:05 CEST 2021

Hi Dmitry,
Thanks, I have one question.

On Thu, Aug 26, 2021 at 5:19 PM Dmitry Kozlyuk <dmitry.kozliuk at gmail.com> wrote:

> This roadmap has been discussed on Windows community calls Aug 5 and Aug 19
> and it met no principal objections. It extends beyond the nearest release,
> but it is useful to have a comprehensive backlog in one place.
>
> In 21.11 it looks realistic to have:

[...]
> 4. Miscellaneous
>
> 4.1. Refactor bus/pci (DmitryK)
>
>      Currently netuio maps BARs at PCI bus scan. This is against DPDK model
>      and can break certain scenarios, like running apps with different sets of
>      available PMDs. PCI bus driver code must be refactored.

Can you elaborate more about the "against DPDK model" and the
scenarios it might break?

I thought it's common that when a driver loads, it scans PCI configuration
space, and mmap BARs. So I'm curious why it's an issue for DPDK.

> 4.2. Move from Setup API to cfgmgr32 API in EAL and bus/pci (DmitryK)
>
>      Setup API is deprecated, also Tyler indicated it causes layering
>      violation warnings by Microsoft internal tools. To make DPDK a good
>      Windows citizen, cfgmgr32 should be used to work with devices and driver
>      interfaces.
>
> 4.3. Enable unit tests [unit] (Jie Zhou)
>
> 4.5. Add WPP(?) tracing to netuio
>
>      Debugging netuio loading issues in VMWare case appeared to be impossible
>      until adding debug prints to pinpoint the place of failure. Tracing all
>      errors at least would help. virt2phys is also getting tracing in the
>      recent patch series. End-users can collect traces and attach them to
>      bug reports, this should be added to DPDK user documentation.
>      It is unclear who will do this and when, but Microsoft approves the
>      idea and can provide guidance on tracing technologies.
>
> 4.6. Find a way to install netuio without GUI.
>
>      Currently in requires Device Manager GUI, which is absent in WS Core,
>      it is also inconvenient to lack commands for copy&paste.
>      Investigate [devmgr].

I'd love to have this. It's pretty inconvenient using GUI.
Thanks!
William