[dpdk-dev] [RFC 00/14] mlx5: support SubFunction

Parav Pandit parav at nvidia.com
Tue Jun 15 06:04:56 CEST 2021

Hi Chenbo,

[..]

> Yes. In our term it's called Assignable Device Interface (ADI) introduced in
> Intel Scalable IOV (https://01.org/blogs/2019/assignable-interfaces-intel-
> scalable-i/o-virtualization-linux)
>
> And vfio-mdev is chosen to be the software framework for it. I start to realize
> there is difference between SF and ADI: SF considers multi-function devices
> which may include net/regex/vdpa/...
Yes. net, rdma, vdpa, regex ++.
And eventually vfio_device to map to VM too.

Non mdev framework is chosen so that all the use cases of kernel only, or user only or mix modes can be supported.

> But ADI only focuses on the
> virtualization of the devices and splitting devices to logic parts and providing
> huge number of interfaces to host APP. I think SF also considers this but is
> mainly used for multi-function devices (like DPU in your term?
> Correct me if I'm wrong).

SF also supports DPU mode too but it is in addition to above use cases.
SF will expose mdev (or a vfio_device) to map to a VM.

> And I also noticed that the mdev-based interface can only be used in
> userspace but aux-based interface can also be used by other kernel sub-
> system (like for net, wrap it as netdev).
Correct.