[RFC v2] non-temporal memcpy

Stephen Hemminger stephen at networkplumber.org
Tue Aug 9 17:26:02 CEST 2022

On Tue, 9 Aug 2022 11:46:19 +0200
Morten Brørup <mb at smartsharesystems.com> wrote:

> > I don't think memcpy() functions should have alignment requirements.
> > That's not very practical, and violates the principle of least
> > surprise.
>
> I didn't make the CPUs with these alignment requirements.
>
> However, I will offer optimized performance in a generic NT memcpy() function in the cases where the individual alignment requirements of various CPUs happen to be met.

Rather than making a generic equivalent memcpy function, why not have
something which only takes aligned data. And to avoid user confusion
change the name to be something not suggestive of memcpy.

Maybe rte_non_cache_copy()?

Want to avoid the naive user just doing s/memcpy/rte_memcpy_nt/ and expect
everything to work.