[24.03 RFC 1/3] args: new library to allow easier manipulation of cmdline args

Thomas Monjalon thomas at monjalon.net
Wed Jan 24 13:03:58 CET 2024

02/11/2023 18:28, Bruce Richardson:
> Add a new small library to make it easier for apps to work with cmdline
> arguments and build up args to use when initializing EAL.
>
> This library is optional, and can be disabled at build time using
> the disable libraries meson option.

This is an optional helper, so why not.

Another help for applications would be to allow initializing DPDK
without the need of passing or building argc/argv arguments.
I think we could add new functions rte_eal_init_*().
Example:
	rte_eal_init_prepare()
	rte_eal_init_memory(memory parameters)
	rte_eal_init_devices(devargs)
	rte_eal_init_threads()

It should be possible to rebuild rte_eal_init()
using above smaller functions to keep the big old
rte_eal_init with argc/argv for compatibility.