rte_atomic_*_explicit

Tyler Retzlaff roretzla at linux.microsoft.com
Fri Jan 26 22:35:20 CET 2024

On Fri, Jan 26, 2024 at 11:52:11AM +0100, Morten Brørup wrote:
> [...]

rte_stdatomic.h should be considered temporary, but how long temporary
is depends on when we can deprecate support for distributions and the
older toolchains they are tied to.

the macros were introduced to allow a path to gradually moving to
standard c11 atomics. gcc versions available on distributions we
promise support for is currently the biggest barrier to direct
adoption.

    * older versions of gcc generate sub-optimal code when using c11
      atomic generics in some instances.

    * gcc c++23 support is incomplete, in particular at the time we
      evaluated using the c11 atomics directly but gcc c++23 held us
      back because the stdatomic.h it shipped didn't interoperate.

    * the macros allow developers to easily evaluate/compare with and
      without standard C atomics with a single build-time option
      -Denable_stdatomic=true

    * eventually we will want to move directly to the names from the
      standard, arguably just search and replace of rte_atomic with
      atomic is the most mechanically trivial - hence there is some
      value in keeping _explicit suffix.

> > I suggested fixing the original <rte_atomic.h> API, or at least have a
> > wrapper API, already at the point DPDK moved to direct GCC built-in
> > calls. Then we wouldn't have had this atomics API ping-pong.
>
> The decision back then might have been too hasty, and based on incomplete assumptions.
> Please shout louder next time you think a mistake is in the making.

> > > They were introduced as part of the migration to C11.
> > > I suppose they were not marked experimental because they replaced
> > something we didn't want anymore (the compiler built-ins for atomics,
> > e.g. __atomic_load_n()). I don't recall if we discussed experimental
> > marking or not.
>
> In hindsight, they should probably have been marked "experimental".

i'm not sure i feel strongly that they need to be marked experimental
and by marked i assume we're only talking about placing a comment in a
file rather than __rte_experimental which has no application here.

typically we do that when we may want to change or remove the api without
going through the normal deprecation and removal process. for these
macros it is difficult to imagine why we would change them as that would
only cause them to deviate from the signature or behavior of the
standard C generics... why would we do that if our intention is to
eventually fully migrate to direct use of the standard C names?

ty