[RFC] ethdev: fast path async flow API

Ferruh Yigit ferruh.yigit at amd.com
Mon Jan 29 18:36:15 CET 2024

On 1/29/2024 1:38 PM, Dariusz Sosnowski wrote:
> Hi all,

Hi Dariusz,

As discussed before, converting APIs to static inline functions or
exposing 'rte_eth_dev' has cons but with only applying first part above
seems get rid of them with reasonable performance gain, so I think we
can continue with this approach and continue to reviews.

Most of the 'rte_flow_async_*' are already missing the function validity
check, so having a default (dummy?) rte_flow_fp_ops for them seems even
an improvement there.

Only previously 'struct rte_flow_ops' was coming from drivers, ethdev
layer doesn't need to maintain anything.
But with 'rte_flow_fp_ops' struct, ethdev needs to store another array
with fixed ('RTE_MAX_ETHPORTS') size which will be another blocker in
the future to convert this fixed arrays to dynamically allocated arrays.

For this, does it still help we add an a new field to "struct
rte_eth_dev", like "struct rte_flow_ops *flow_ops", similar to 'dev_ops'?
The indirection still will be there, but eliminate 'rte_flow_get_ops()'
call and checks comes with it.
If makes sense, is there a chance to experiment this and get some
performance numbers with it?