Deprecated packet modification flow actions

Dariusz Sosnowski dsosnowski at nvidia.com
Fri Mar 15 10:24:18 CET 2024

> NFP plans support RTE_FLOW_ACTION_TYPE_MODIFY_FIELD flow action in
> 24.07 or 24.11.
> For remove of legacy flow, does there also correspond patches in OVS project?
I am not familiar with any patches to OVS. Thanks for raising this.

For the record, in latest commit on main branch in OVS (commit fa0dfa18d534) I see that the following modify actions are used:

RTE_FLOW_ACTION_TYPE_SET_MAC_SRC
RTE_FLOW_ACTION_TYPE_SET_MAC_DST
RTE_FLOW_ACTION_TYPE_SET_IPV4_SRC
RTE_FLOW_ACTION_TYPE_SET_IPV4_DST
RTE_FLOW_ACTION_TYPE_SET_TTL
RTE_FLOW_ACTION_TYPE_SET_TP_SRC
RTE_FLOW_ACTION_TYPE_SET_TP_DST
RTE_FLOW_ACTION_TYPE_SET_IPV6_SRC
RTE_FLOW_ACTION_TYPE_SET_IPV6_DST

We'd need to sync with OVS developers, but I assume we cannot just remove these without providing a proper replacement, so the functionality is not broken.
I think that, once there's an agreement on the timeline of implementing MODIFY_FIELD in PMDs, we'd need to work
with OVS to migrate it to MODIFY_FIELD. After OVS uses MODIFY_FIELD actions, deprecated actions could be safely removed from OVS and DPDK.

What do you all think?

Also, this opens a question about other upstream projects using deprecated actions. Do you know if there are other projects besides OVS?

Best regards,
Dariusz Sosnowski