[dts] Speed Capabilities Feature

Thomas Monjalon thomas at monjalon.net
Wed Jun 24 21:55:07 CEST 2020

Hi,

A bit of context: Daniel is going to implement a test in DTS
for ethdev speed capability:
http://doc.dpdk.org/guides/nics/features.html#speed-capabilities

24/06/2020 21:32, Daniel Kirichok:
> The Speed Capabilities test will first check the speed of each interface
> that the device lists through ethtool.

I assume you mean doing a query in Linux before starting DPDK.

> Then it compares each interface
> speed to a user-defined set of expected speeds set in a newly created
> config file, `speed_capabilities.cfg`.

Why do you need such config file?

> The test fails if an interface is
> found that isn’t accounted for in the cfg file, the detected speed is less
> than 1 Gb/s, or an interface detects a different speed than what is
> expected from the cfg file. Otherwise, it passes.

So you don't test DPDK?

Would be interesting to compare the actual link speed
from rte_eth_link_get() with the advertised capability.

What else do we want to test regarding link speed? autonegotiation?