[dpdk-moving] Minutes from "Moving DPDK to Linux Foundation" call, November 29th

Michael Dolan mdolan at linuxfoundation.org
Thu Dec 1 19:01:16 CET 2016

> Note that I’m assuming that the combination of Apache 2 and a CLA isn't an
> option because this seems redundant as both include patent protection.
> Maybe there are other reasons that would make this a valid combination
> though.

Tim, I think this is a perfect example of why I'm suggesting we get all of
your counsel on a call together to discuss. The default for Apache 2 was to
use a CLA in combination. That's precisely why the Apache CCLA and ICLA
agreements exist.

The issue I think some are missing is not all CLAs are the same and have
very different purposes. Node.js under Joyent's stewardship tried to patch
over the BSD license with a CLA and it caused a lot of issues and they
ultimately abandoned the CLA entirely - but now they don't have the
protections offered by the CLA going forward and have to figure out what to
do.

The best path forward IMO is to have everyone on a call with their counsel
and we can discuss how to move forward. I don't have confidence everyone
here understands the full implications of what their being asked to decide
- this isn't a trivial detail to change things. Relaying to counsel and
coming back with an answer is also not ideal as those who are entrusted to
provide legal guidance are not at the table of discussion and may not
understand the full context.

A further option is to have the Governing Board resolve this later. We'll
know who the decision makers are and can work with their counsel to figure
this out if it's an issue the GB thinks needs addressed.

-- Mike