[dpdk-moving] Proposal a Committer model

Wiles, Keith keith.wiles at intel.com
Thu Nov 17 15:05:33 CET 2016

> On Nov 17, 2016, at 7:43 AM, Thomas Monjalon <thomas.monjalon at 6wind.com> wrote:
>
> 2016-11-17 09:27, Mcnamara, John:
>> From: Jerin Jacob [mailto:jerin.jacob at caviumnetworks.com]
>>> I believe the multi-committers model may not fix current consensus
>>> slowness issue. Instead, if we are focusing on reducing the workload of
>>> Thomas, then I think git pull request based scheme will reduce the
>>> workload.
>>
>> So, something like a Gerrit model?
>
> No, the mechanics of committing is not time consuming.

The time consuming part is the reviewing the patch and using Gerrit does attempt to make sure the reviewers are emailed directly. This to me helps to require reviews as sometimes the huge email volume on the list is difficult to see patches someone needs to review.

I would much more prefer one email (from Gerrit) per patch set instead of 10 or 30 emails in some cases for a single email. Using gerrit also combines the patch review comments, patchwork and email list into one tool plus it can kick off the build and checkpatch processes.

Having a Gerrit model is not a bad process model and allows for multiple committers. I know it is a new tool and it is pretty simple to use.

Regards,
Keith