[dpdk-moving] Reminder on Today's Meeting and Updated Charter

Dave Neary dneary at redhat.com
Wed Nov 23 23:26:44 CET 2016

Hi all,

I made a significant insertion/suggestion into the Charter, and asked a
few related questions. The insertion was an attempt to describe the
current state of the technical governance of the DPDK project. Please,
if there are corrections to be made, make them.

My feeling is that this section should be owned by the Technical
Governing Board, not the main Governing Board, so my first question was:
should this be a separate document, referred to in the main doc? That
way, the description of the governance there is not subject to change by
a 2/3rd majority of the governing board (sec 12).

My second question was how much we want to document the current state,
versus the process in the abstract? Should we list the current members
of the TGB, or instead point to a place which will be the definitive
list of the current TGB at all times (including after changes)?

Thirdly, I proposed that we have one at-large Governing Board member,
elected by the technical community, to add some more developer voice,
and potentially diversity from companies who are not members.

Fourthly, do we need to make a distinction between DPDK the software
project and the DPDK Project, the entity which will come into being
under the LF? I ask, because participation in the DPDK software project
is clearly not to be limited to paying members, while participation in
the DPDK Project under the LF is limited to paying companies, for the
most part.

Any feedback/comments/tomatoes to throw?

Thanks,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary - NFV/SDN Community Strategy
Ph: +1-978-399-2182 / Cell: +1-978-799-3338