[dpdk-moving] DPDK + Linux Foundation - summary of fees

O'Driscoll, Tim tim.odriscoll at intel.com
Tue Jan 17 23:28:46 CET 2017

> From: Ed Warnicke [mailto:hagbard at gmail.com]
>
> Jaswinder,
>
> The fd.io infrastructure is for use by fd.io projects.
>
> DPDK would be welcome as a fd.io project.
>
> If the goal is for DPDK to move somewhere neutral and open with best of breed governance and resourcing for open CI then becoming a fd.io project might be the simplest route.   Most of the participants in discussions around DPDK moving are already fd.io members.
>
> fd.io’s governance is compatible with what we have been discussing.  Should DPDK join fd.io it would, as all fd.io projects, maintain its own internal technical governance.

We discussed this in Dublin. There was a strong preference for keeping DPDK as an independent project. Dave summarized this in the minutes:

"I said that Red Hat is happy with the technical operation of the
project, and we don't want to see the community disrupted with toolset
changes - and it's possible to work with projects like fd.io, OVS, and
OPNFV to do testing of DPDK.

Representatives from Brocade, Cavium, and Linaro all voiced a preference
for a stand-alone lightweight project"

Tim