[dpdk-stable] What kind of commits can be backported to help the process

Yuanhan Liu yuanhan.liu at linux.intel.com
Thu Feb 16 09:42:37 CET 2017

On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 09:21:28AM +0100, Nélio Laranjeiro wrote:
> > So to answer your question. The backport should be easy (when one guy
> > knows the code enough). If it invovles re-work and changes the behavior
> > the commit doesn't have, it basically means it's done wrongly.
> >
> > That helps?
>
> Not really, the issue is more related to fixes which have been published
> after a re-work of the code,

Yes, that may happen.

> this re-work may have changed internal
> API/ABI,

No API/ABI changes are allowed for a stable release. But as far as the
fix doesn't offend API/ABI, it's __possible__ to backport.

> structures, ...  Backporting it becomes like fixing the issue
> on totally different code inducing several days of work, tests and
> validation.
>
> Should those fixes be backported?

My understanding is, that may depend. If it fixed a fatal bug (say,
crash, misfunction, etc), the extra several days of work/validation
may be worthwhile. If not, we may skip it.

And I think it's only the author (and maintainer) could answer the
question whether it's fatal or not.

	--yliu