[dpdk-stable] filenames of DPDK stable packages

Timothy Redaelli tredaelli at redhat.com
Fri Jul 27 19:15:11 CEST 2018

On Tue, 24 Jul 2018 11:12:56 +0200
thomas at monjalon.net (Thomas Monjalon) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 23/07/2018 19:07, Luca Boccassi:
> > On Tue, 2018-07-17 at 13:34 +0000, Richardson, Bruce wrote:
> > > Therefore a small ask - can we please provide a package for stable
> > > releases where the standard naming convention is used. I quite
> > > like having the "dpdk-stable" in the name, so perhaps as well as
> > > the regular tarball, could we also have a copy on the server
> > > called e.g. "dpdk-stable-17.11.3.tar.gz"?
>
> This is what the hook is doing:
>
>     for ext in gz xz ; do
>         echo "generating tarball dpdk-$ver.tar.$ext..."
>         wget
> http://dpdk.org/browse/dpdk-stable/snapshot/dpdk-stable-$ver.tar.$ext
> mv -f dpdk-stable-$ver.tar.$ext /srv/rel/dpdk-$ver.tar.$ext done
>     echo "MD5 (to copy in HTML page)"
>     md5sum /srv/rel/dpdk-$ver.tar.xz
>
> > It would be perfectly fine to me to have an additional copy of the
> > tarball, however all we maintainers do is push a tag, then the cgit
> > server does all the magic. The directory name I guess it's based on
> > the git root directory name on the server.
> >
> > Thomas, any idea how to do what Bruce is asking?
>
> All is possible.
>
> I am not in favor of having two copies with different names because it
> would bring more questions.
>
> When listing tarballs, it is easier to have the same prefix for all:
> 	http://fast.dpdk.org/rel/
>
> We could rename the directory inside the tarball but we would have
> a different checksum compared to the one in cgit:
> 	http://git.dpdk.org/dpdk-stable/refs/
>
> Or we could change the prefix in cgit with repo.snapshot-prefix:
> 	https://git.zx2c4.com/cgit/tree/cgitrc.5.txt#n590
> However I guess it would change every old tarballs.
>
> Opinions?

Hi,
I suggest to have the filename "dpdk-17.11.3.tar.xz" (so without
changing it) that extracts in a directory called "dpdk-17.11.3/" (by
changing the "snapshot-prefix" configuration in cgitrc).

This will avoid copy & pastes when changing version from a stable to a
"master" release (that can lead to typos, for example in [1], or
hacks in order to support both the directory paths).

Thank you

[1]
https://github.com/openvswitch/ovs/commit/5e925cc#diff-7f20b7d93319bb633bf2173988183d64R91