[dpdk-users] Possible to rate limit a VF on ConnectX-3 ?

Jesper Wramberg jesper.wramberg at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 09:51:23 CET 2015

Morning all,

I was wondering if anyone know if/how you can rate limit a virtual function
on a ConnectX-3 ?
I am running OFED 3.1 and NIC FW 2.34.5060 (latest from dell). I have tried
the following with no luck:

mlnx_qos
mlnx_qcn

The closest I have gotten was with mlnx_qos but it seems I can only rate
limit all traffic or no traffic (using traffic class 0). I tried
manipulating the TCs with tc_wrap but it seem that all traffic falls into
user priority 0 or something ? I also tried using different TX queues in
DPDK but the result was the same. The other commands seems to have no
effect at all. My mlx4_core.conf file looks like this:

options mlx4_core port_type_array=2,2 num_vfs=3 probe_vf=3
log_num_mgm_entry_size=-1 fast_drop=1 use_prio=1 enable_qos=1
enable_vfs_qos=1

I simply tried to enable everything that might be relevant :-)
Alternatively, I also configured the transmitter using the VF to use one
specific VLAN with one specific priority. Unfortunately I couldn't seem to
rate limit based on VLAN or VLAN prio either :-(

Best Regards,
Jesper