[dpdk-users] Configuring MAC Address of KNI - Don't want random

Andriy Berestovskyy aber at semihalf.com
Mon Apr 11 11:01:47 CEST 2016

Hi sml,
The KNI uses old ixgbe and igb Linux drivers in order to support
ethtool. Here is the list of supported e1000 devices:
http://dpdk.org/browse/dpdk/tree/lib/librte_eal/linuxapp/kni/ethtool/igb/e1000_hw.h#n37

The list is somewhat shorter than the list of supported devices in
DPDK itself. So there are some devices which work well in DPDK, but
KNI generates random MACs for them.

The DPDK community decided to get rid of the KNI, so your only option
is to set the MAC on vEth using ip(8) or ifconfig(8). You can also add
an option into the /etc/network/interfaces (or similar), so the MAC
will be configured once your vEth device is up.

Andriy

--
Andriy Berestovskyy