[dpdk-users] mbuf free cnt not decreasing

Wiles, Keith keith.wiles at intel.com
Mon Apr 18 18:29:19 CEST 2016

>Javier,
>That was just our guess, you might have the leak somewhere else...
>
>Andriy
>
>On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 6:01 PM, Javier Coleto Fernández
><javicoleto44 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> This is exactly what I'm doing at the moment, but the free count (both the
>> rte_mempool_free_count() and rte_ring_free_count()) keeps increasing
>> nonetheless.

Check to make sure you are not increasing the reference count in the mbuf, these two are the most common places to lose packets. Also check your loops to make sure you are not breaking out of the packet processing loops too soon and skipping some packets. In one case I have seen someone converted a while loop into a for loop and forgot to remove the i++ some place in the body of the code. Try adding counter on your code to see if you are missing processing or freeing the packets.

I would not expect the DPDK code to be the problem, so focus on your code is all I can tell you.

>> Regards,
>> Javier

>>> You just have to check the return value and free the unsent mbufs.
>>> Here is an example:
>>>
>>> ret = rte_eth_tx_burst(port, queueid, m_table, n);
>>> if (unlikely(ret < n)) {
>>>     do {
>>>         rte_pktmbuf_free(m_table[ret]);
>>>     } while (++ret < n);