[dpdk-users] Question on using crypto library (S/W implementation) with DPDK application

Trahe, Fiona fiona.trahe at intel.com
Fri Aug 5 16:18:38 CEST 2016

Hi Chinmaya,

Sorry for the slow response.

There's a PMD currently under development which may provide what you're looking for.
It will provide 3DES_CBC_128/192 with MD5_HMAC, SHA1/SHA224/SHA256_HMAC and AES-GMAC.
It will translate from dpdk cryptodev API to openssl's libcrypto for the software enablement of these algorithms.

See Tim O'Driscoll's post re 16.11 roadmap on the dev mailing list for more details
http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/dev/2016-July/043534.html

At the moment there are no plans to integrate with AF_ALG.

The performance is unlikely to be satisfactory.

Regards,

Fiona

Hi,

Our application will run on VM (Cloud environment). If access to
crypto acceleration hardware

(besides Intel AES NI/Intel QAT) are not present, what are the
different available choices ?

Do I need to integrate the OpenSSL or Libgcrypt library and invoke
it's APIs from a DPDK application?

Can we use the AF_ALG protocol so as to use the kernels crypto framework?

Please clarify. Thank you in advance for your support and time.

Regards,

Chinmaya