[dpdk-users] rte_zmalloc() returning non-zeroed memory on FreeBSD

Verkamp, Daniel daniel.verkamp at intel.com
Thu Aug 11 01:30:41 CEST 2016

Hi,

It seems that with DPDK 16.07, rte_zmalloc() and related functions no
longer return zeroed memory reliably on FreeBSD.

I notice that commit b78c9175118f7d61022ddc5c62ce54a1bd73cea5 ("mem: do
not zero out memory on zmalloc") removed the explicit memset() that used
to ensure the buffer was zeroed; its log message says:

"Zeroing out memory on rte_zmalloc_socket is not required anymore since
all allocated memory is already zeroed."

However, I don't see how this is guaranteed (at least for FreeBSD), and
it is not true in practice.  I've attached a minimized reproducer program - running it twice in a row fails reliably for me.

Is there a missing step in FreeBSD, or is it a more general problem for
other platforms?

Thanks,
-- Daniel