[dpdk-users] match kernel's ixgbe/ixgbevf drivers and DPDK's ixgbe/ixgbevf PMD versions

Michael Umansky mishka99 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 00:02:04 CEST 2016

I'm using DPDK 16.04 release.  The PMD ixgbe/ixgbevf drivers (in 16.04 rel)
- what versions of kernel's ixgbe/ixgbevf drivers do they match?

I'm trying to use VF devices (on 82599) with flow director.  I have had
zero success in getting anything to work with NIC drivers that came with
CentOS 7.1 (see versions below).  I then upgraded the NIC drivers and
ethtool to the latest versions (see below) and I think I'm having better
results - at least I see actual fdir_miss counts now.

I'm concerned with how compatible are the latest kernel's versions with the
DPDK's PMD versions?  And if there is a real inter-dependency between the
two groups?

CentOS 7.1
        ixgbe - 4.0.1-k-rh7.1
        ixgbevf - 2.12.1-k