[dpdk-users] A question about the function __mempool_get_bulk() of dpdk-16.04

Shreyansh Jain shreyansh.jain at nxp.com
Fri Jun 10 15:00:38 CEST 2016

I too observed this issue a few days back.
[I ended up changing DPDK code to get around it - some use-case I don't recall now].

> My question is why at line 992, this has to return 0? In the line 941, the
> comment says that  ">=0: Success; number of objects supplied." I am confused
> by this comment, since in line 985-990, we can see that the input parameter
> "obj_table" is supplied by new values and the number of the new values is
> "n". Does this means that we need to "return n;" instead of "return 0;"?

Probably, what is happening is that all calls to __mempool_get_bulk in DPDK code base are not worrying about a return value stating number of objects/buffers handled. They just require a positive number and are satisfied with '0'.
Reading through the API itself, I was not sure if it indeed should return the count or not. Given the pktgen use-case, 'count' looks more probable. And even if modified, it wouldn't break any call flow - AFAIK.

Probably guys on devel@ can help us.

> Am I missing something here? Thank you so much for your help.
>

> All the best,
>
> Xiaoban

-
Shreyansh