[dpdk-users] Issue with ipsec-secgw sample application on VM using Intel QAT device (pass-through mode)

Sergio Gonzalez Monroy sergio.gonzalez.monroy at intel.com
Wed Jun 15 14:35:17 CEST 2016

On 15/06/2016 13:01, Chinmaya Dwibedy wrote:
> Also the output lspci on VM as follows
>
> [root at vpn-c openssl-async]# lspci -nn | grep 0435
>
> 00:05.0 Co-processor [0b40]: Intel Corporation Coleto Creek PCIe Endpoint
> [8086:0435]

This is the PF, not the VF.

> I run the  ipsec-secgw sample application (
> http://dpdk.org/browse/dpdk/tree/examples/ipsec-secgw) on VM with -cdev QAT
> (e.g., #./examples/ipsec-secgw/build/ipsec-secgw  -l 0,1 -n 4  -- -p 0x3 -P
> --config="(0,0,0), (1,0,1)" --cdev QAT --ep0) . I found that,
> rte_cryptodev_count_devtype() returns zero (i.e., no QAT crypto device
> found).
>

> Can anyone please suggest what might be the issue and the way to resolve
> this ?  Also kindly let me know  using QAT device (passed through mode) by
> DPDK application is possible or not. Thank you in advance for your time and
> help. please feel free to let me know if additional information is needed.

I reckon that your issue is that you are trying to use the PF (not
supported by DPDK)
instead of the VF.

 From
http://dpdk.readthedocs.io/en/v2.2.0/cryptodevs/qat.html#installation-using-01-org-qat-driver:

"You can use|cat/proc/icp_dh895xcc_dev0/version|to confirm the driver is
correctly installed.
You can use|lspci-d:443|to confirm the bdf of the 32 VF devices are
available per|DH895xCC|device."

You should pass-through one of the VFs.

Sergio