[dpdk-users] Issue with virtio PMD (using dpdk-2.2.0)

Chinmaya Dwibedy ckdwibedy at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 12:28:45 CEST 2016

Hi All,

I have installed dpdk-2.2.0 on VM (Fedora 20). The VMs are created using
openstack framework.  It has two Ethernet ports (eth0 and eth1). The eth0
is managed by   Virtio network device. It also acts as my Management
interface. I login into this VM (via ssh) using IP address of eth0. When I
run helloworld program, the console hangs when rte_eal_init () initializes
the virtio NICs. This virtio device is not bound to DPDK. It appears that,
the virtio PMD takes over each virtio device. It uses IO port to configure
the virtio device in virtio_resource_init_by_ioports (). When it tries to
configure virtio-pci device, ssh connection gets lost and the console
freezes. As a result I can not access the VM. Can anyone please suggest is
there any way to resolve this? Thank you in advance for your support.

Network devices using DPDK-compatible driver

0000:00:05.0 '82599ES 10-Gigabit SFI/SFP+ Network Connection'
drv=uio_pci_generic unused=igb_uio

Network devices using kernel driver

0000:00:03.0 'Virtio network device' if= drv=virtio-pci
unused=igb_uio,uio_pci_generic

Other network devices

<none>

Regards,