[dpdk-users] Is DPDK compatible with C++11 threads?

Pavey, Nicholas npavey at akamai.com
Thu Nov 10 13:49:33 CET 2016

Yes, agreed. We only use the STL in general purpose code, not the DPDK fast path.

Nick

From: Anupam Kapoor <anupam.kapoor at gmail.com>
Date: Wednesday, November 9, 2016 at 11:14 PM
To: "Wiles, Keith" <keith.wiles at intel.com>
Cc: David Aldrich <David.Aldrich at emea.nec.com>, "Pavey, Nicholas" <npavey at akamai.com>, "users at dpdk.org" <users at dpdk.org>
Subject: Re: [dpdk-users] Is DPDK compatible with C++11 threads?

On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 2:30 AM, Wiles, Keith <keith.wiles at intel.com<mailto:keith.wiles at intel.com>> wrote:
Also look at one of the DPDK examples as it uses a lthread on top of pthreads and it may give you some ideas as to how multiple threads can work. I am trying to remember which example and my dev machine is down at this time, but just search for lthread.

​this one: ​http://dpdk.org/doc/guides/sample_app_ug/performance_thread.html<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__dpdk.org_doc_guides_sample-5Fapp-5Fug_performance-5Fthread.html&d=DgMFaQ&c=96ZbZZcaMF4w0F4jpN6LZg&r=ssgET6RyiWLuSGT5U4X0s-CtLYP5dr-AKGa5XH84zdM&m=7hZrbWDcflak8oiYezM8ikKmkjXi6bqa-uc-Tj8hzsE&s=Q6FKkqcR_EKo71KN5FKQYQEJGU--5ZdNjkqs5hLKk34&e=>

one more thing that you probably need to watch out for would be libc interactions within your C++11 application e.g. usage of stl containers might exact a severe performance penalty...

--
kind regards
anupam

In the beginning was the lambda, and the lambda was with Emacs, and Emacs was the lambda.