[dpdk-users] Beginners question: rte_eth_tx_burst, rte_mbuf access synchronization

Philipp Beyer pbeyer at voipfuture.com
Fri Nov 11 15:06:43 CET 2016

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your answers. This helps as I am still stabbing in the dark
quite a lot.

I actually use 16, not one, distinct buffers to be sent in one burst.
But still, your conclusion is correct: I mess with the refcount, adjust
payload after calling rte_eth_tx_burst, and therefore get undefined
behaviour.

Your answer pretty much sound like you understood my point, so it seems
the solution I am looking for does not exist. Unfortunately, it is not
really only one byte i am changing. This was just a simplification, its
a few byte actually, but still a small portion of the payload. So your
idea won't really work.

But I might have found another idea: What about preparing all buffers of
a memory pool with the same payload? I should than get a pre-filled
buffer from rte_pktmbuf_alloc, right? Let's say, I initialize a buffer
for transmittion, the transmitting code free's this buffer, and I get
the same buffer back from rte_pktmbuf_alloc. What do I have to
re-initialize to have the same buffer again? Only the payload length? Is
this approach feasible, based on documented/specified behaviour?

Philipp

--

Philipp Beyer

Software Developer

**

** **

**

Voipfuture GmbH   Wendenstr. 4   20097 Hamburg   Germany

Phone +49 40 688 9001 69   Fax +49 40 688 9001 99 www.voipfuture.com
<http://www.voipfuture.com/>

Managing Directors   Jan Bastian   Eyal Ullert

Commercial Court AG Hamburg   HRB 109896  VAT ID DE263738086