[dpdk-users] Measuring packet throughput

Cristian RUIZ cristian.ruiz at inria.fr
Tue Oct 4 15:49:54 CEST 2016

hello,

I'm performing an experiment to measure the performance gain of OVS +
DPDK. The goal is to measure the improvements in packet forwarding. My
setup consist in two physical machines (M1 and M2). Each machine have a
network card with two ports. The two machines where configured in the
following way:

Machine M2: I set up OVS+DPDK and I set up the flow to forward packets
from port1 (eth1) to port2 (eth2)

Machine M1: I installed DPDK packet generator to send packets to M2
using eth1.

    M1                                         M2
-----------                               -------------
| pktgen  | eth1 ------------------> eth1 | ovs+ dpdk |
|         |                               |           |

I have set up everything without problem but I don't know how to
reliably measure the packet throughput for a given port. What tool
should I use? At the moment I have just configured pktgen in machine M1
to get port2 (eth2) statistics but I didn't find any way to put the
results in text format and things go so fast that I cannot capture the
right value. I have read articles and reports where they have measured
this same metric I was wondering what tool they have used to measure it.

Thank you in advance for any help.